Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Tao of Yoda

Rereading Chapter 2 of "The Tao of Inner Peace." It says Te is about not trying but doing. This reminds me of Yoda saying, "Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"

A couple of years ago it occurred to me that if I said I was "trying" something, it was like setting myself up for failure, not doing or liking the thing, lack of follow-through, half-assed attempt, etc. It was like an acknowledgment but then also rebellion against that inner knowing that whatever it was that I was "merely trying" wasn't right for me. Or perhaps just fear to fully dive in to something that was/is right for me....So I became very aware of word choice. Sometimes another word, such as "exploring," really fit better than "trying." ---- Ha! It's occurring to me now that by focusing more on semantics I missed the whole point, which was to listen to that inner knowing! Funny how I trick myself into and out of things when deep down I really know better....

Dreher writes that "tao people have no time for half-hearted attempts." And why bother doing anything half-heartedly, I wonder. It's not good for me or for anyone else involved. I'm feeling the need to pay more attention to this in my life.

There's an exercise in this chapter that asks you to look at any areas in your life where you've been holding back, trying instead of doing (p.19). This is really relevant in my life right now, as I think about living life to the fullest, in integrity, and as I contemplate leaving Anacortes, moving back to Seattle, and focusing on finishing my book and starting another one before I even think about putting any energy into building up my business in Seattle. To just leap, knowing that the net will appear. For years I've been saying I want to write a book. Never used the word "try," but it's definitely an area in my life in which I've been holding back.

Dreher poses the questions:
What would happen if you really committed yourself?
Have you been afraid of failure or success?
What would happen if you failed?
What changes would success bring to your life?
"Ask yourself if you really WANT to follow through with this activity. If so, stop trying. Do it."

I feel I'm being spoken to here, and it's time to listen. What would happen if I really committed myself to writing? Well, there's only one way to find out. So that's what I'm going to do. Time to give notice to my clients and students in Anacortes. Time to replace my seemingly broken printer. Time to commit to writing. I've also been talking about "trying" out living in Seattle again, before deciding to make the full move. But I don't need to try. I need to do. I don't have time to try. Just time to do. Life is short, and I've just been reminded of this, as my grandfather was just admitted to hospice yesterday, and as I visited a friend at the hospital this morning, and as I've often wondered what I'd do if I only had a year to live. Writing a book is the main thing that comes to mind. Since I did face death 14 years ago, I've lived my life pretty darn well. But now it's time to crank it up a notch. So, here I go. Taking the leap. Diving in.

No comments:

Post a Comment